Complaints policy

We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service. We acknowledge that we may not always get it right, so if something goes wrong, including in relation to our charges, we need you to tell us. 

This will help us to improve our standards of service.

How do I make a complaint?

  • You can contact us in writing (by letter, fax or email) or by telephone.
  • In the first instance, it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your matter to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues.  If you do not feel able to discuss your concerns with them, please contact the person responsible for the overall supervision of your matter, who will be named in the client care letter we sent you at the beginning of your matter.
  • If you do not feel able to raise your concerns with either of these people, or you are unsatisfied with their response please contact our Head of Standards & Ethics whose contact details are: Beverley Scriven – Email: – Tel: 0345 111 5050.
  • To help us to understand your complaint, and in order that we do not miss anything, please tell us:
    • your full name and contact details;
    • what you think we have got wrong;
    • how you would like your complaint to be resolved; and
    • your file reference number (if you have it).
  • If you require any help in making your complaint, we will try to help you.

How will you deal with my complaint?

  • We will write to you within 4 working days acknowledging your complaint, enclosing a copy of this policy.
  • We will investigate your complaint.  This will usually involve:
  • reviewing your complaint;
    • reviewing your files and other relevant documents; and
    • liasing with the person who dealt with your matter.
  • We may need to ask you for further information or documents.  If so, we will ask you to provide the documents or information within a specified period.
  • We will update you on the progress of your complaint at appropriate times.
  • We may also, if appropriate, invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint.  You do not have to attend if you do not wish to or if you are unable to.  We will be happy to discuss the matter with you by telephone or video conference.
  • We will write to you at the end of our investigation to tell you what we have done and what we propose to do to resolve your complaint.  Where possible, we will aim to do this within 21 days of the date of our letter of acknowledgment.

What to do if we cannot resolve your complaint

  • We have eight weeks to consider your complaint.  If we have not resolved it within this time you may be able to complain to the Legal Ombudsman.  This applies if you are an individual, a business with fewer than 10 employees and turnover or assets not exceeding a certain threshold, a charity or trust with a net income of less than £1m, or if you fall within certain other categories (you can find out more from the Legal Ombudsman).  The Legal Ombudsman will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your matter.
  • Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first.  If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:
    • within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint; and
    • no more than 12 months from the date of the act or omission; or
    • no more than 12 months from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.
  • If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them.

Contact details

The Legal Ombudsman Scheme Rules provide details on how the Legal Ombudsman will deal with a complaint and can be found here.

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) bodies exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme for example The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution – .  We have, however, chosen not to adopt an ADR process.  If, therefore, you wish to complain further, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman.

What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour

  • The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about out behaviour.  This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.
  • Visit its website at to see how you can raise concerns.

What will it cost?

  • We will not charge you for handling your complaint.
  • The Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.